Friday, April 13, 2007

Avondale

Yesterday we went to Avondale House for our Picnic and were joined by Sally and her three delightful children Chris, Sam and Chloe as well as Dillon's friend Rory. Avondale House is situated about 50km from Dublin in Rathdrum, Wicklow and was the home of Charles Stewart Parnell who is said to have been one of the great Irish political leaders. Avondale house is set in a large park and woodland, if you don't want to take a tour of the house you are charged a nominal €5 to park your car and from here there is a whole days entertainment ahead of you.

We started with our picnic, on previous occasions we have barbecued here, before setting off for a walk. There are many different paths and walks to choose from ranging from half an hour up to five hours. The route we chose took about two and a half hours with some natural breaks for us to have a rest, enjoy the scenery, have a drink and paddle in the river. We ended up at the house where we enjoyed a cooling ice lolly and the children had a second burst of energy in playground before it was time to head home after a very enjoyable day.

Posted by Picasa

Appetizer

When you were a child, which crayon colour was your favorite?

Yellow, now it would be purple.

Soup

On a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being highest), how likely would you be to change jobs if it required you to move?

2

Salad

Take all the numbers in your birthday and your phone number and add them up, one by one. What’s the total?

50

Main Course

Have you ever “re-gifted” anything? If so, what was it and who did you pass it on to?

I frequently 're-gift' toys the children are given from friends at their parties. They may be toys the children already have or ones they would never play with. They go into my present box and when the children have a party to go to they choose a gift from the box that will suit the birthday child.

Dessert

Name something you need from the store.

Juice.


24 comments:

ChrisB said...

Looks like you had a really good day out. It's lovely at Avondale I remember you taking me there a couple of times. Has Dillon taken his coat off yet? he obviously loves it!!

Yvonne said...

Sounds and looks like a beautiful place, I've never been there but I'd like to go very soon. Have a great weekend.

Steffi said...

Wonderful pictures of a wonderful place!I wish I can come with you and your kids!I believe we had a nice time together!Have a nice weekend!!

Sabrina said...

Looks like such a nice place! Wish we were going to be here longer to maybe enjoy it!!!!!

frannie said...

It looks beautiful! what a great place to eat some flapjacks!

Anonymous said...

Beccy, That's so funny, my maternal grandmother's maiden name was Parnell, and I was always told about Charles Stewart Parnell being the 'Uncrowned king of Ireland!' and then never could find much info.on him when I got older.Also nobody here has really ever heard of him.
Again, enjoyed the pictures,I am now officially living vicariously through you! :)

FH said...

I can't believe how beautiful Ireland is!!!Looks like Asheville here in NC.Looks like you had so much fun!:))

Have a great weekend Beccy,see you on Monday!:))

Amy W said...

I can't wait to take my kids on nature walks. Love the pictures.

Jenny, the Bloggess said...

Love those pictures! Looks like you had a fabulous time.

PS. I need juice too. And toilet paper.

my4kids said...

Looks like a great park and you actually got a picture of Dillon. How did you manage to get that?
Love the friday feast by the way.

Anonymous said...

That walk looked very pretty - must have been quite warm with being able to walk into the creek.

JoeinVegas said...

Yes, looks like a nice time. And green.

Barbara said...

I do love a picnic on a sunny day. I remember it was always so much fun with friends and children .

Sam said...

so dillon has a coat he won't take off now?
That's probably better than not wearing a coat at all in the winter.

it looks like you had a great day out.

wish I could have been there

Anonymous said...

Fun Fun Fun! Love the collage. I want to go next time.

Anonymous said...

I love the collage, I wish more people would use them instead of posting a heap of photos (I probably wouldn't care if I had broadband, but with dialup, it just means I have to skip the post).

Beccy said...

Yes Mum.

It's a lovely place hellojed but a long way to go in a taxi!

Steffi, it's a great place to go with friends.

Sabrina maybe you'll just have to come back some day.

It sure was Frannie.

Maybe you're relayed Lisa, you'll have to research your family tree. It's a nice pad to have in the family!

Asha, you should come and check it out someday.

Thanks Amy.

I have some toilet paper I can lend you Jenny!

Terri, Dillon gave me the camera for a while whilst he played by the water so I got a snap when he wasn't really watching.

Karmyn the water was very cold so only four of the children were brave enough to go in for a paddle.

Very green Joe, it is the Emerald Isle after all.

Babara, picnics are my favourite.

So do we Sam and yes he does take the coat off-when he's in the shower!

Hop on your broom and fly over Swampy.

Willowtree, glad to make accessing my blog easier for you. We only got broadband last summer, I would never have concidered blogging before and I can Skype now!

sallywrites said...

Great photos Beccy!

What a lovely place!

Beccy said...

It really is Sally.

Dea said...

I meant to comment on this last week. We've been looking to go to Wiclow for awhile, but didn't know where to start. This looks like a great family day out. You said you BBQ'd before... do they have BBQs there or do you need to bring one? Looks like a great time! Love the pics!

Dea said...

BTW - I think Lisa needs to come visit - don't you? ;-)

Beccy said...

Humble Housewife, it is a lovely day out but yes you have to bring your own bbq, we bought a disposable one with us!

Beccy said...

Good idea, Lisa can come out on pretence of tracing family tree!

Anonymous said...

I will come, and NOT only on the pretence of the family tree!
We are 'scheduled' to go in about 3 years for our 15th anniversary. My husband wants to do the Iron Horse (I think that's the name) bike tour through Ireland, which is fine. But I told him we HAVE to go to England because I'm not going all that way and not go, and to Scotland because I'm at least 1/4 Scotch.
Sooner, I can dream!
All of you bloggers make me want to meet you!