Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Hypothermia Hell

So I'm back, I sneaked back in through the back door and some of you found me, thank you.

Too much has happened to fill you in and I know some of you were hearing my news from mum but I will say that I really needed that break from blogging and I won't be back blogging manically like before but will post as and when I feel like it and when I've something decent to post about...like how I nearly died of hypothermia. Now that got you interested.

It's August and where I was brought up that means summer, long, hot days, playing on the beach, swimming in the sea, ice cream, strawberries, sunburn and barbecues. Wrong, now it means rain and summer flooding and not even snow in the winter. Last week I was playing in an open tennis tournament, one I have played in several times, my memories are of sun cream, sun glasses and drinking lots of water. Last week I was lucky if I came off court dry but despite the rain we succeeded in getting to a final. I awoke on finals day to the sound of sleeting rain and groaned. The forecast was for rain all weekend so I dragged myself off with my wet weather gear and plenty of warm clothes for after. Yes, it's official, the Irish are mad and play in the lashing rain. We were sent out on court, with apologies from the referee but there was no sign of a let up all weekend and what could they do? Before the game started I was soaked and had to remove my non waterproof waterproof leggings and coat. By game six I was sloshing around in pools of water and soaked through to my knickers (not a comfortable feeling), by the end of the set (which we won) I was shivering and shaking and could only focus on how cold I was. I don't know how but my body continued to hit the ball, it seemed to know what to do, all I could think about was how cold I was. A few games later when all I could say was 'I'm so cold' over and over my partner asked me to concede as she was worried about me. I ran for the shower. After a long shower and some hot food I felt human again but it really took me about 24 hours for my body temperature to get back to normal. It was a horrible experience and I will not be playing tennis in those conditions ever again.

29 comments:

ChrisB said...

I'm so glad you have returned to the fold even if it is only occasionally. I know you are feeling better now and I hope this experience will have no lasting effect.

Barbara said...

Nice to see you back Beccy. I think we all post like crazy when we first begin. Eventually we realise we need to do other things. I post far less now than when I first started blogging.

Anonymous said...

Oh I hate the wet knickers feeling. It's just not right! But yay for winning!

Beckie said...

Your tennis experience in the rain sounds absolutely horrid. Your body must have been more or less on autopilot. But....did you win after all of the misery?

willowtree said...

This would have made a good plurk!

Steffi said...

I´m glad and happy that you are back at the blog world!Sometimes everyone need a blog break.
Your tennis experience in the rain sounds terrible.But your won!
Enjoy the last two weeks of the August!

Anonymous said...

oh my how horrid having to play in the rain. I used to be blogging non stop, but like Barbara says we all slow down after a while.
It is good to hear from you and glad you are ok x

Dea said...

Welcome back Beccy.

What an awful experience. Must have been scary!

JoeinVegas said...

Oh my goodness - I thought the Irish were a bit daft (or is that the British?), but then you can't wait for the sun like we can.

Unknown said...

Avoid wet knickers, don't wear any! Should make for interesting tennis!

sallywrites said...

Hi Becky!!

Welcome back!!

Glad you survived!

Beccy said...

Thanks Barbara, I've noticed by blogroll is showing fewer posts than it used to. I'd get overwelmed.

Cheers Nikki.

Beckie we conceded the match to our opponents which mean they won (even though we had won the first set)

WT, too long and complicated to plurk.

Thanks Steffi, unfortunately we lost because we conceded the match but I stil got a nice runner's up prize

Thanks Little Wanderer.

Joe, I'm English and definitely think the Irish are mad playing in the rain!

John!!!!!

Thanks Sally.

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

Playing in the rain? Us crazy sailors go out in all sorts of atrocious weather, so i appreciate the madness to your playing :) :)

Cyalayta
Mal (aka Maljam)

Anonymous said...

So glad to have you back...even if it's not on a regular basis.

Sorry about your hypothermia experience. My daughter came close to that one time at a tournament in Tulsa. Not a good thing at all.
I hope you have completely recovered.

~ej said...

welcome back...blogging is supposed to be fun, and i'm with keeping it that way.
and omg @ the rainy tennis matches...thank goodness you were okay!

Unknown said...

Wow, you must LOVE tennis! ;)

Frannie said...

that does not sound fun at all.

for the love of the game....

Pamela said...

gee beccy... I wish I could have sent you a "hot flash!"

Make sure to take vitamin C and all that stuff so you won't catch a cold. (or is getting cold from being cold and wet just an old wives tale?)

Anonymous said...

A few years back I went on a cycling trip with my husband and a friend in the mountains. It was 3 days about 80km per day. It was the long weekend in August (first Monday), and it was cold. The first day it rained and hailed and there was sleet. We could feel the little hail balls come through the holes in the helmets. I was in the lead and at one point stopped suddenly and jumped off my bike and was jumping up and down. I couldn't feel my feet, they were so cold. I so feel your chill. This evening was cold and we were outside for a fire pit and hadn't got to the fire yet. Like Pamela, I was commenting it would be a good time for a hot flash, if only I was getting them.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, you posted!

Your experience doesn't sound fun. I hate being cold! Glad you came around with no lasting effects.

Emma in Canada said...

I got the shivers just reading this.

Alison said...

it is wonderful to "see" you back!!

that sounds miserable, I am glad you finally warmed up!! I think if the Irish waited for the rain to let up, they would be waiting forever!!

my4kids said...

I'm glad to see you blogging again! I have been posting far less then I used to just to busy to do it and getting to hate my computer sometimes!
Sorry about the cold and wet!

my4kids said...

I left you an award on my blog.

Sam said...

at least you lived to tell the tale!

sallywrites said...

Hi Beccy....

Do come back again soon......

Debbie said...

Brr.rrrr. That sounds terrible and I feel cold just thinking about it. Glad you had a good partner who was looking out for you.

Alison said...

happy birthday to you
happy birthday to you
happy birthday dear Beccyyyyy
happy birthday to you!!

Anonymous said...

I heard it was your birthday so came right over. Happy Birthday. I hope you are enjoying this other break from blogging also. Hope to see you back again soon.