Wednesday, April 25, 2007

What are your quirks?

After celebrating St Georges day earlier in the week I felt that the following was appropriate for a Witty Wednesday as it explains the quirks of the British. I'm afraid I can't remember who sent it to me so apologies for not crediting you!

Being British is about driving in a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, then travelling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

And the most Britain thing of all? Suspicion of anything foreign, especially the French.

And......

Only in Britain .. can a pizza get to your house faster than an ambulance.

Only in Britain ... do supermarkets make sick people walk all the way to the back of the shop to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front.

Only in Britain ... do people order double cheeseburgers, large fries and a DIET coke.

Only in Britain ... do banks leave both doors open and chain the pens to the counters.

Only in Britain ... do we leave cars worth thousands of pounds on the drive and lock our junk and cheap lawn mower in the garage.

Only in Britain ... do we use answering machines to screen calls and then have call waiting so we won't miss a call from someone we didn't want to talk to in the first place.

Only in Britain ... are there disabled parking places in front of a skating rink.

I was asked to be a guest blogger on Frannie's blog yesterday, so it you want to read my post click here.

27 comments:

Yvonne said...

Excellent observations! I got your flapjacks today, they are absolutely delicious. I've raved about them over at mine. Thank you so much.

frannie said...

very amusing!

but, I think a lot of American's stole some of your ideas!

ChrisB said...

very good becs I've heard it before but it's still funny. I read your post over at Frannie's

Anonymous said...

American's do the sick people to the back of the store and cigarettes up front thing too. Here, we also like to make expecting moms wait over an hour to see their doctor. Because large pregnant women with tiny bladders like to sit in a hard uncomfortable chair doing nothing for long periods of time. Then again we also invented Barney the large annoying, singing purple dinosaur.

FH said...

HAHAHA!! You and your mum are very witty this Wednesday indeed!!

Americans order DCB and large fries with Diet Coke as well!:D

Anonymous said...

Beccy,
I laughed, but all those things are very American, too!
Great guest-post, by the way.

Anonymous said...

I believe that I sent it to you, but if both you and your mum are going to post jokes,if that is the right word!!! I shall have to ration to whom I send what ho. Love

Sam said...

I am with Frannie - most of these happen in the US too.
And as for the purported suspicion of the French? That died out nearly four years ago now so you should update the joke.

Sabrina said...

Oooh, that was enjoyable!!!
Now I want to know YOUR quirks--your title got my interest going!

Brooke - Little Miss Moi said...

Dear beccy. That's funny! I think I've read something similar about Australia. Ohhh I can't wait to eat my flapjacks - hellojed has made me jealous!

Unknown said...

What's wrong with disabled parking spaces in front of a skating rink? I've seen them in front of a flight of stairs into a building! Now, how daft is that!

BTW, my chair goes like the speed of light on ice ! LOL.

Tiggerlane said...

Wow...so we Americans really DID learn more than just English from the Brits?

Maybe the pharmacy is at the back of the store, so that people needing their Nexium from all that fast food can walk it off.

mindthegap said...

ha ha ha! I just love being back. What about only in Britain is Royal Mail so slow I haven't seen my flapjacks yet?!

my4kids said...

Some of these happen in the US aslo especially this one....

Only in Britain ... do people order double cheeseburgers, large fries and a DIET coke.

Great post.

Anonymous said...

Loved your post over at Frannie's. That's how I felt when I started blogging. I've never met anyone yet, but I've made some very great friends.

I'm one American who loves DCB,fries,but it has to be a Diet Pepsi. :)

Amy W said...

I agree with Frannie, us Americans stole some of your stuff.

la bellina mammina said...

I've read this before - but it still is funny! Like Frannie wrote, these things happen in the US too....expecially about the large cheeseburger and fries with a DIET coke!!

Anonymous said...

Tee hee! Americans are, at least, extremely guilty of the supersized meal with a diet coke.

my4kids said...

I forgot to add I have no quirks...really I'm a normal person...hahaha, yeah right.

Steffi said...

It´s funny!

Sidetracked Home Executive said...

Very clever Beccy. I think Britain and Australia have a lot in common.

sallywrites said...

That's funny Beccy - and sad but true about the pizza!

Emma in Canada said...

I don't know Beccy, that screamed Canada to me. It's probably the entire Englsih speaking world actually.

CPA Mom said...

But these are true in America too....come visit and I'll show you!

AfKaP said...

I fear you are still trying to convince us that we are a British colony! Loved the video image!!

Anonymous said...

Um - I don't know if anyone else has said this BUT....

not ONLY Britain. Most of those you could say we Americans do too - especially the Diet Coke at McDonald's. (although I prefer the Diet Dr. Pepper)

laurie said...

it's funny, while we were in england last week we were mulling over the biggest differences between ireland and england, because the two countries seem as though they should feel more similar. but they feel entirely different.

we finally decided it's like the difference between Minnesota and Wisconsin. hard to explain, but very definitely real.