Wednesday, October 25, 2006

A new sport and a new recipe all in the same day!

Woke up today pleased to see it was not raining as today was my first day playing hockey in 20 years. After the girls versus mums football match on Saturday a friend mentioned that she had started playing hockey again and I was immediately interested. I played at school for a few years and really enjoyed it but I knew the standard would have been low compared to here in Dublin where hockey is a very popular sport and most people played in clubs when younger. The hockey club I have joined is about fun and participation and the age range is huge, with me at the younger end of the scale. Some of them are brilliant, I just couldn't seem to whack the ball hard like I can a tennis ball. However I defended well and even attacked and got the ball from some of them though I won't mention how many times the ball went through my legs!!! I loved the exercise I got as well as it was six a side so a fair bit of running was done.

Got home and had a quick shower before I stared preparing lunch. My guests for lunch were Marie my mother-in-law; Fiona and Kathryn my sisters-in-law and three nieces and one nephew. I had decided to be brave and make a seafood chowder using a new recipe. I was pleased I had done as it turned out well and everyone seemed to like it. I say everyone all the adults did, the three year olds ate lots of sausages and the babies are too young!

The picture doesn't really do it justice so you'll just have to believe me when I say mmmmmmm and luckily there's some left over for me tomorrow. I served it with fresh bread, carrot and celery sticks and hummus. For desert we had gluten free chocolate cake as Marie is a coeliac.

11 comments:

ChrisB said...

The hockey will help your fitness for tennis. The seafood chowder looks good; in Boston its served in a type of bread basin.
ps 'coeliac' in case you want to change it mum

Sam said...

i wish i could play hockey. i used to be ok at hockey.

Sam said...

even though that fat old cow of a games teacher gave everyone else in the hockey team colours except me because she was peeved that my younger sister trounced her at tennis.

you owe me some colours.

Anonymous said...

Am I the only one who thought Vully for you!!!!

ChrisB said...

Sam we all know you deserved your colours godd job Beccy wiped her off the court. Beccy how old were you at the time - about 14?

Anonymous said...

I always wanted to play hockey but was made to play netball. Maybe it's not to late.

Beccy said...

You remember wrong guys, I was beating that silly fat cow and on match point she cheated, she served into the net, picked up the ball, therefore still having two in her hand, served a second fault aand as I went to shake hands she served again taking me by surprise. I'm still cross with myself for not standing up to her (I was 14) and for not staying calm enough to beat her.

I remember that match like it was yesterday!!!!

Beccy said...

By the way they don't bully off anymore in hockey!

Beccy said...

I was intriged with identiy of embee as they have posted comments for the first time on all the family post.

BUT

I think I got it embee=MB, would I be right? What do you think Dad?

Sam said...

it took me a second to work out embee too but i guessed soon enough.

beccy - sounds like that games teacher knew how to bully off in tennis.

Beccy said...

Dead right Sam