"You are wondering why someone in New Zealand would be supporting an event based in the US aren't you. Well for the simple reason cancer knows no boundaries. There isn't a person in the world who hasn't been touched by cancer in some way. Either a family member, a friend, work colleague, neighbour or even themselves. One of my best friends and my Dad both died of cancer in the same week. Twelve months later I was diagnosed with cancer and am still fighting the disease, hoping to be cancer free one day. To raise awareness in any country is to raise the level of awareness world wide".
Barbara's challenge was to post yellow food. After much thought and perusing of recipes I chose two dishes to try. After my hectic weekend I have only found time to make one and as I am fast approaching the deadline I decided to post it today.
This was delicious, I can safely vouch that the four mouthfuls I ate before I noticed the smoke and flames billowing out of my top oven were divine, I was even looking forward to eating the leftover slice for my lunch today. Easy to make and delicious to eat, unfortunately my piece and the leftover piece had to be thrown in the bin due to the toxic ash which had settled all over my kitchen/dining room.
The recipe (taken from You magazine):
7 large eggs
40g grated parmesan
320ml double cream
1 1/2 tbsp finely chopped chives
Grease a 25cm flan dish.
Trim and peel the asparagus and cut into 4-5cm pieces. Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add asparagus and cook for two minutes. Drain and lay on a piece of kitchen towel for 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 210C/410F.
Melt butter in a pan and gently fry onions until soft.
In a large bowl beat the eggs. Beat in the cream, parmesan and chives. Mix in the onions and asparagus. Pour into flan dish and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and puffed.
If you are using your grill to make your daughter an omlette as she will not eat the above please ensure you turn off said grill before shutting the door, thereby turning the grill into an oven and causing the silicone sheet in the grill pan to catch fire.