Monday, May 14, 2007

Fun Monday #17



Willowtree is the hostess with the mostest this week and wants to peek into our cupboards with this challenge:

'Again this is one of those stickybeak posts. You could also get a bit creative photographically speaking if you wanted to. So here it is, I would like to see your favourite Coffee Mug. But wait there's more, I'd also like to see your favourite glasses for a) non alcoholic drinks and b) alcoholic drinks. If you want extra credit you could also post your favourite plate. Note I said favourite, not best'.

This mug was given to me by Sam about 24 years ago and I have used it daily since. Sam must have chosen it due to the tennis theme and unfortunately the colour has faded a lot over the years. It is made from bone china so is very delicate and (so many believe) tea tastes better out of bone china, in fact my granny will only drink out of bone china. I brought this mug to Hull where it spend my student days nursing many a hangover.

Many of you may have heard me refer to my house lovingly as me shoebox. It is really too small for my family, only one bathroom and five people. If you looked in my cupboards stuffed to the hilt you wouldn't be able to find anything. In fact no one in this house can find stuff except me! Therefore I have very few glasses and no special ones. When I need glasses I buy whatever is on offer and recycle them as they break or get chipped. We drink anything from these glasses from water, juice, milk, smoothies, vodka, whiskey and beer. Tucked away on top of my cupboards I do have a box of very nice wine glasses that I won in a tennis competition but we tend to use the wine glasses to hand in the cupboard.

I had been after a hand painted plate from the children for some time. Joules finally got the hint when they made one for his mother and my mother and I demanded one! I wanted a square plate as I didn't have any square plates and sometimes make square cakes that look good served on a square plate. I love this and will treasure it forever.

40 comments:

ChrisB said...

I have always loved your tennis mug. Snap we both chose our wonderful plates.

Anonymous said...

enidd on the other hand prefers the glass (love that blue!) and the hand-painted plate. she loves doing that painting thing herself, but never made anything as nice as that.

Yvonne said...

Great post, love the plate! Our place is tiny too, not enough space for different glasses. :(

Anonymous said...

I love that glass, it's a gorgeous colour and shape. It may not be a special one, but it looks great.

Molly said...

Your drinking items are lovely. I have enjoyed reading your story accompanied with each item. But hands down, I love the plate best...how sweet.

Anonymous said...

There's something special about a mug that you've had forever (and it's not a bad looking one either).

The blinding simplicity of your reason for wanting a square plate hit me right between the eyes! I can't count how many times I've made a square cake (I prefer them because they're easier to cut into slices) and was pissed off that the cake didn't fit too well on the plate. D'err! I'm getting one.

sallywrites said...

Glad you got the square plate in the end. And what a fine one it is too!

Steffi said...

All your things are nice memories!I have such memories too,a old cup,cards... and much more.

Anonymous said...

I love that plate! Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I love your stories with the cup and plate.
The plate is priceless, glad you have at least one picture!

Brooke - Little Miss Moi said...

Dear beccy. Firstly hahah to willowtree being the hostESS with the mostess. I love your painted plate, I got a set of painted platters and dishes for my wedding - done by an artist who'd seen photos of our day - and they are lovely. And in storage.

Anonymous said...

I just got a hand painted mug for mother's day. *sigh* I get so mushy over things like that.

Tonya said...

love the pics and the plate is soo sweet :)

frannie said...

I love your plate!!! How sweet!

I really like the glass- looks fun to drink out of!

and you are a hero for living with 5 people and 1 bathroom.

Sam said...

that certainly has faded

hey - someone made me two mugs with my blogger banner picture on it - its really my favourite mug today.

la bellina mammina said...

That is a pretty plate and love the color of the glass.

Anonymous said...

I'm a sentimental nut too. I have this mug that I bought when I had my first job out of school. I still have it now, but it's got many chips now and even leaks a little bit. Everyone tells me to throw it away, but I just can't do it!

Claudia said...

I love the blue glass, and yes, it looks good for anything you'd pour in there. The tennis mug is nice too, and 25 years without breaking it! Excellent! That is so sweet that your kids got you a plate you wanted and actually decorated it themselves.

Beckie said...

I love the blue glass - I have a thing for colored glass! The square plate is Nice - I need a square plate...

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I also love the blue glass! I have a few favourite glasses, but many are taken by the dishwasher (I know they shouldn't go in there!) A few hardy souls return from it's depths!

my4kids said...

Oh I love your handpainted plate from the kids...too cute! I would find all kinds of uses if I had one!
27 years with the same mug? Nothing around here lasts a year if breakable.

FH said...

24yrs old Mug and looks so good still!:))
Love the plate ,very creative and thoughtful.

Unknown said...

My favourite glass is one that only leaks out of the top!

Emma in Canada said...

I love the plate- gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I don't have anything I've kept for 24 years. WOW!!!

That plate is one to cherish. Maybe I need to make a major HINT at my husband too.

Anonymous said...

Your tennis mug is lovely.

But I'm especially impressed by your hand-painted plate!! Priceless!!

Amy W said...

You have a mug that is that old? I would have most definitely broken it by now...

Anonymous said...

Tea does indeed taste better from bone china :o) This was a great post, love your square plate.

Anonymous said...

I just love that plate. Love. The glass is lovely too. I also live in a shoebox, so I feel your pain. :)

Pamela said...

a home designed plate... now that is a keepsake.

dont you think houses shrink?

Anonymous said...

Beccy will yoi please stop getting so many hits it is upsetting Christine and by passage me!!!! Love

ChrisB said...

embee you are just adding to them !! and so am I if it comes to that.

theotherbear said...

Hmm, I now feel I need to go and buy a bone china mug, and make a cup of tea in it, and a cup of tea in a normal mug, and see if I can taste the difference.

Unknown said...

I can't imagine having a mug that long! It's so neat! I feel like if I've had something 5 years I've done good. :)

Kila said...

Ooh, that plate is beautiful :)

Anonymous said...

Beccy, your plate is absolutely lovely. The only things I've kept for over 20yrs are my baby spoons. Your plate will make a very nice keepsake.

Katie McKenna said...

ohhh so sweet! I drank my tea out f bone china as a child!

Precious plate! Very beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Your plate is so sweet. Your glasses are very nice and obviously well-suited for multiple uses. Just the kind of glass I like.

Anonymous said...

The plate is the best ever. My children made one for my mom one year and it is treasured also.

Anonymous said...

Oooo, Beccy, how special to STILL have the mug Sam gave you a lifetime ago! She's gotta feel the "sister love" from your using it D.A.I.L.Y.!

And your plate...what a fantastic idea to have each of your children help make ONE plate! I've never thought of that and wonder now if they're too old for that kind of thing...it's BEAUTIFUL! And square to boot...you've given me all kinds of ideas :).